Saturday, September 14, 2013


In looking forward to our future art assignment, I noticed that it is suppose to evoke an emotion from the view.  After my last art assignment #1 had an eerie disposition, I think I want to strive to make the viewer feel uncomfortable in my next piece.  I want them to feel so uncomfortable that it will be a struggle for them to watch the video until the end, and yet they won't be able to take their eyes away from the screen: hypnotized by the uncomfortableness.  Below are some images taken from video art that made me personally feel uncomfortable and I may include their ideas in my final video.  

I particularly like this image from the video artist Jonathan Jones because I find a close up of the human eye rather disturbing.  The lack of any visible eye lashes also makes this eye seem awkwardly naked. 



This image also by Jonathan Jones is from one of his exhibits.  Besides the scary looking white eye-less face in the back left corner, the giant foot up close and to the right makes this whole exhibit very uncomfortable.  Unsure of the exact theme of this artwork, I find all of these randomly placed objects very uncomfortable and yet, I can't stop staring at the perfectly textured foot in the foreground.  


This third video art image from Jonathan Jones is more towards the feeling of ridiculous randomeness rather than uncomfortable awkwardness.  The smiling man on the right paired with the odd expression of the cartoon on the left and the cut out of the dinosaur in the background provokes no other emotion other than wonderment and confusion.  This is the type of artwork that I want to try to prevent myself from slipping into.  There is a fine line between uncomfortable and ridiculous.  


No comments:

Post a Comment