Friday, September 20, 2013

The Importance of Sound

I have been looking at a lot of the video artists on the UBU website and have been intrigued and surprised by many.  One of the cleverest videos that I came across was titled "Getting In" by Shelly Silver that she made in 1989.  Here is the link to the 2 minutes and 50 second video if you would like to watch it.

http://www.ubu.com/film/silver_getting.html

Her use of sound in this piece transforms the entire video into a completely different meaning, which is something that I would like my second project to be able to do.  At first, her silent images of building doors seems like a simple montage of "getting in" to the building, or maybe even "getting in" to society if a larger meaning were derived.  However, intermittent sound begins to pop up at every door shown and it quickly becomes clear that what the viewer is listening to is the love making sounds of multiple people orgasming.  This gives the video and its title a completely different meaning than it originally portrayed!  Now, the video seems like an invasion of privacy, spying into people's private homes and listening to what they do behind closed doors.

I love how her use of sound was able to transform her video entirely and I would like to be able to do that in my final project if possible.  Keeping in mind that silence is a sound in and of itself, I will look to incorporate both sound and silence in my two pieces to create completely separate emotions from the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment