Monday, November 4, 2013

A look through Haley Bowen's Blog

So this week I took a look at what some of my fellow classmates have been doing on their blogs.  I chose to primarily look at Haley's because I really enjoy her work that I have seen in class so far.  It is radically different from anything that I have ever produced and has a dream like quality of innocence that I quite enjoy.  Most of my artwork has a darker edge with a harsh message, but Haley's videos, as well as the videos she is inspired by, are all emotionally calm, peaceful, and happy. She does a great job of evoking a feeling of serenity with beautiful imagery that is neither cutesy nor fantasy-like.  One found video that she got inspiration from i quite enjoyed.  It was the passing of time as portrayed by a dandelion.  It showed the flower grow and eventually whither away, letting the wind blow its seeds off into a future of immeasurable opportunity. Accompanied by some nice light hearted music, the piece was enjoyable to watch while still getting you to think about how time passes and what one does with the time they are given.  I like the idea that videos do not have to be painful to watch or depict uncomfortable/grotesque images in order to send a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment