Sunday, November 10, 2013

Vimeo Curiosities

Seeing as we will have to upload our own final videos onto Vimeo I decided to peruse some of the videos already on the site.  Betwixt a variety of selfies and music video renditions, there were a few select pieces of video art that caught my attention.

Below is the link to the first video I found interesting: "Morphogenesis" by Michael Matos.  It is completely animations and sends a message of technology information overload in the midst of evolution.  Although vastly different from my own final video, I couldn't help but make the comparison between the commentary on scientific aspects in both. Although just a cartoon that often moves so fast it is hard to take it all in, this video effectively comments on the natural and man made destruction that has taken place throughout history, from man made guns, to bacterial protozoan diseases, to the big bang theory wiping out dinosaurs, to man made guns, and eventually foreshadowing the destructive role technology will play in humans' own demise.

Here is the link:
http://vimeo.com/79014618

The second video work worth posting about is "Temporarily Out of the Picture" by Margreet Kramer.  I was attracted to this video because of its split screen.  Although I plan on only having 2 screens in my final piece while this video has three, it gave me some things to think about in terms of composition.  There are times that the same image repeats on all three screens, or just 2 out of the three and there are times when all three screens are different.  I thought the artist's choice of what to show on each screen was interesting, although I am not in love with his video as a whole.

Here is the url:
http://vimeo.com/78981912

No comments:

Post a Comment